Tuesday, April 2, 2013

How about hooking up with a new electronic device on my power bill, you can expect the monthly cost?

Subject written by Joe: How can estimate what hooking up a new electronic device will cost me each month on my power bill?

A friend of mine is getting rid of some old computer hardware of his, including a laptop and several hard drives that he’s used as media servers for his home and internet file servers in the past. I’ve seen how they work (though I don’t quite know how to set it ALL up, I know some, and have a…vague sense of the other stuff, at least) and think it would be pretty nifty, but I’m wondering how much the overall power draw would add to my monthly electric bill. They’d pretty much be on all the time, as I understand (unless I leave for vacation, though I could probably turn them off when I’m at work at least most of the time, I guess) so that files could be accessed by myself (and my family, if I can set it up right) over the web.


Basically, it’d be a work/school/personal documents, family pictures, family videos, music, and movies “server” that we would (ideally) stream to the various devices at my place, and be able to access from our own computers, online, pretty much wherever we are.


It’s a MacBook Pro from about 5(?) years ago and two external hard drives (one is a 250GB WD drive from about 3-4 years ago, the other is a 2TB WD Elements drive from about 2-3 years ago). I’d also be hooking it up to the printer (an HP Printer/Scanner/Copier, forgot which model right off-hand, it’s about…5 years old, I think) so we can print from anywhere, too. The laptop would be closed most of the time (if that matters; the display would be off, in other words), and I believe the hard drives can go into “sleep mode” when not in use, too, so the power draw would obviously fluctuate depending on how much they’re really used.


But, I’m not really certain it’d be worth it, I guess. If they’re used just a few times a day, either remotely or locally, how much could I expect it to add to my electric bill each month? I’m assuming that’s a tough question to answer without knowing what I pay each month, though, so, more importantly, how can *I* find out a ballpark estimate of how much it might add?


Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I also figure this is probably the most secure/reliable way to store things “in the cloud” (on this “server”, at least) without uploading them to a “cloud” service online, like DropBox/SugarSync/Google Drive/iCloud/etc (or even specialized ones, like Flickr or Picasa). Furthermore, it wouldn’t give anybody “rights” to use my stuff without expressed permission. I’m open to alternatives, though, I suppose.


This is certainly supposed to be about How can estimate what hooking up a new electronic device will cost me each month on my power bill? which you can preferably should solve issues for their own reasons. I hope this will assist in many ways… and generate your own life greater. Hoping supposed to be about How can estimate what hooking up a new electronic device will cost me each month on my power bill? happens to be an answer inside the foreseeable future.

Best answer:


Answer by Tim S

Tiny effect. It’s heating that consumes power.

You can work it out. Thepower rating in watts is on all appliances. Add them up. Divide by a thousand. That is kiloWatt and you multiply by the hours they are on per day which is the unit that you pay for your power.


Answer by Nomadd

Without a monitor or laptop screen using power and the hard drives not running all the time, you’re going to be using very little juice. It will probably average well under 100 watts and cost less than 40 cents a day.


Do know good?

Leave your trusty answer active in the comments!


http://www.imacmailer.com This video shows how a standard SMTP server works. It is a detailed video showing what happens when you hit send button on your mai…


How about hooking up with a new electronic device on my power bill, you can expect the monthly cost?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive